[OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 (Long, really long)

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 (Long, really long)
From: Doug <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:28:50 -0400
On Thursday April 14 2005 2:12 pm, you wrote:

I think Walt has many valid points. I've always felt that just because some
process is new doesn't automatically make it better for every purpose. On the
other hand just because something has always been done someway does that make
it perfect either.

In many fields of work, from carpentery to art to photography there has been
much outstanding work done with "traditional" tools and methods. Many a fine
house was built with hand tools as there are many fine houses built with the
latest of power tools. Buying yourself the lastest camera or accessory isn't
going to make you a better photographer unless you have a clear picture of
what you are trying to do. For some people the difference in the process
between film and digital makes then better photographers because the digital
work flow makes more sense to them, for others like Walt is is just the
opposite.

The reasons I haven't gone digital are:

1) It's still too expensive. I've got a couple of thousand dollars in the OM
system which I couldn't begin to duplicate in a digital system. When you
factor in how fast these cameras seem to become obsolete I just can't justify
buying one until the market stabilizes.

2) I've picked up both a Can*n rebel and a Nik*on D-70 in one of the big box
stores. I don't like the bulk of them and I don't like the huge grip they put
on right side of the camera. It forces me to try to hold the camera in a
totally unnatural way for me. I can carry one of the OM bodies all day
without my hands hurting. I held one of these cameras for just a few minutes
in a store just playing around with it and I could tell my hands didn't like
holding it at all.

3) Without making a great effort to learn all the buttons it seems to me that
there is way too much going on in these cameras for most of it to become
second nature unless I used the camera everyday. I could see me getting busy
and not using the camera much for a couple of months. Would this mean that
I'd have to go back and dig through the manual again to get myself
reoriented? It's not that I'm computer phobic or computer challenged. I use a
computer everyday at work and home. It may be me but so much of these things
have icons that I'm always stopping to figure out. Does the tree icon mean
shade or some kind of setting to take nature pictures?

These are just my thoughts. I'm not trying to convince anyone that either film
or digital is the way to go. Each of us has to weigh all the factors, one of
which is our personality and make the decision for themself. For me the
balance is still on film. After all I haven't even scratched the surface of
what there is to know about photography whether it is film or digital. For me
I suspect that I'll always remain a person who uses both film and digital.
-Doug