[OM] Re: Zuiko 18mm and 21mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 18mm and 21mm
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mike Hatam wrote:
> First, a quick update on my search for a Zuiko 24mm shift...

Thank you for your info. I hope you don't think we're all
kurmudgionly around here--even though it's probably true.

The problem with the 24/shift is that it absorbs far too much of
the 510-520nm wavelength in acquisition.  But your experience in
this area (1DSm2) has shown that this isn't an issue.

Welcome to the group. We can always use new blood around here.
Who knows, you might discover some of the other (non wide-angle)
Zuiko gems too. Zuikos are inexpensive and some have unique
characteristics which no other lens is known for.  Do not be
afraid of the old silvernosed versions either. The optical
formulas changed through the years and some of the popular
lenses (100/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 35/2.8) underwent multiple
redesigns. The older ones are slightly less contrasty too, which
may play better with digital sensors.

Zuikos aren't necessarily sharper or "better" than other brands.
Just different. One lens to try is the 100/2.8. I know it's a
duplicate focal length, but I can guarantee that it will produce
a look unlike anything you currently have. It (and the 85/2 and
200/4) has bokeh characteristics to die for.

AG-Schnozz