[OM] Re: travel kit

Subject: [OM] Re: travel kit
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:38:42 -0300

> I've never been to Boliva, Wayne, but that seems like a lot for a
> "travel kit".

I've been there a few times, but still it is not always easy to know exactly
what to expect. You're right, it is way too much if you had to carry it on
your person. But I'll not be using all of it all the time. And we'll be
travelling in SUV's some of the time, so at those times it can all come
along.

>But then, I like to travel very light and be forced to do
> more with less.  I'd eliminate either the XA or the Epic, depending on
> your preference.  Not having used an Epic, I can't say with certainty
> which I'd leave at home, but having an XA... and the ED and XA are
> fairly similar, but the ED is, I believe, a bit larger than the XA, so
> it all depends on your prefrence.

The Epic and XA are the 2 smallest, although they are quite different. Both
are pocketable, and are the only ones that are truly pocketable in my
opinion. The 35ED and 35RC are the two that are similar in size, but are
quite a bit larger and heavier, enough so that they are not really pocket
cameras. But for as close as you can come to a pocket camera, they are
better for shooting slide film, as it is necessary to use an 81a filter at
altitudes around 8 to 12,000 feet, and neither the Epic or XA will take a
filter (or a lens hood). The 35ED cost me a dollar, so I thought it might be
suitable for wandering the market places of the cities, where petty theft is
rampant - no big loss if it gets stolen.  Also it is so quiet, and with 38mm
lens, and taking the necessary filter, and being fully auto exposure, it
makes an excellent street camera for discreet shooting from the waist level.

> If I were to definitely take the 50/1.8, I'd eliminate not take the 35
> and substitute the 28.  They 35 and 28 are pretty close, as are the 35
> and 50.

The 35mm is my most used lens by far, just the way I see I guess.
The 50/1.8 is my fastest lens, so it comes along for the evening shots. But
actually there is very little evening anyways, as Bolivia being just below
the equator, the sun seems to jump up instantly and go down the same.
Because of that, it is hard to choose a film speed that is really suitable
for everything. Probably 200 speed would be best, though most people see it
as redundant, which is probably why you can't get a good saturated slide
film or a good B&W film in 200. In Bolivia, to a Canadian, it seems to be
either bright daylight with the sun directly overhead (pretty intense at
12,000 feet), or totally dark. But then everything there is in extremes.
Wayne