[OM] Re: Question on DVDs

Subject: [OM] Re: Question on DVDs
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:22:04 -0500
At 02:08 AM 4/10/2005, Siddiq wrote:

>I seem to recall that +R is more easily read by older standalone players,
>while newer models can do + or - R just as well. something to note if
>sending home-movies to relatives w/ older players.

I've encountered just the opposite . . . older TV "player" specs rated for
DVD-R's . . . which may or may not read DVD+R's (some will even though it's
not in their specs; I have one that does).

I was told by our audio/video "playback guru" at work that DVD+R media and
how it's written is more forgiving when writing them compared DVD-R
media.  From the stream of techno-babble that resulted from my questions I
concluded it has something to do with how buffer under-runs are
handled.  This may have something to do with the DVD+R being perceived as
being more reliable.  I haven't checked the specs on newer standalone
players . . . and don't know what they will handle.

The same guru also commented about DVD-RAM in the event I encountered one
of them . . . another stream of techno-babble . . . from which I concluded
that they're found in some (older ??)  television DVD recorders and that
they are indeed different from DVD+/-R . . . and they are to be avoided
unless the recorder specs require them . . . in which case it's extremely
likely that DVD-RAM is the *only* media it can use for recording.

-- John Lind