[OM] Re: olympus digital camera service manuals

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus digital camera service manuals
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:54:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Rich wrote:

> Has it always been Olympus policy to not provide sevice info to the public?
>
> Sevice manuals for the OM series have become available. Were they ever
> available from olympus directly from the service department?

OM manuals (when in print) were always available for purchase, although at a
very hefty price!

> I know that the service documentation is developed for their service
> centers. Has anybody been able to get a copy? 10 years from now, that
> document will be the only way to have service information on that camera.
> The service people will all be gone.

Even if you had the manual, I doubt you would be able to do anything beyond the
basic mechanical repairs.  Fixing these sophisticated digital cameras requires
a lot of specialsed test equipment which isn't available to anyone outside
the official repair centres.  Even basic things like re-loading a corrupt
firmware are impossible without the test equipment.  I doubt very much if in
10 years you'll be able to get parts from Olympus for your camera.  At the
rate they pump out new consumer models today, it would be impossible to stock
all the parts that long.  Their flagship products like the E-1 and E-300 will
likely do better in this respect.
                                        -mark