[OM] Re: Lens cleaning

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens cleaning
From: "Toona" <toona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:18:34 +1000
To labour the point a bit...

Kimwipes or equivalent are used in the genetics lab I am working in to wipe
down the UV transilluminator used for making images of the electrophoretic
gels.

For this purpose, they are free of lint if not really rubbed and don't break
up when wet which the top of the illuminator gets with a wet gel on it.
Little bits of tissue are not nice on the illuminator as they fluoresce,
leaving spots on your gel images!

Others use them for bench cleaning and other things in the curious belief
that paying a lot for a tissue makes it better when put to low grade use.

I have used them on a lens, but wouldn't really go out of the way to do so,
as they ARE quite hard (more than a normal tissue) and CAN make fine lint
when rubbed against metal filter rims etc.

Microfibre clothes or (shock!) a very old and worn handkerchief do the job
for me. The latter should not be used for any other purpose before cleaning.

Olympus content: the new system being put in has an Olympus camera bought
for it.

Message sent using Unisurf
Webmail Server