[OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: First show off picture from the E-1
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
Moose contributed multiple suggestions:
> not adept with dodging and burning. The way you describe the 3
> level process sounds quite time consuming.
> I would try using curves to adjust this.

This is strictly localized editing. Mostly details around the
tree only. It would be tedious, indeed, if I were to do the same
over an entire image.

> I know you are happy you used no sharpening, although I'm not
> sure why.

I actually will use some sharpening on the final edition. Will
have to since the photograph will be destined for 11x14 size. It
just suprised me that my test 8x10s proved to not need any.

> In any case, you might find that local contrast enhancement on
> a selected area would assist with the snap.

Partially. It's mosly overall tonality that bugs me. It's a
yin-yang kind of thing. There's too much dark, and not enough
balance.

> I generally prefer curves over contrast to liven up clouds and
> sky.

Agreed. I did use curves to make the changes, but used the
brightness/contrast function to test the concept. Brightness and
Contrast are the common darkroom controls so I tend to gravitate
there for my initial tests

> I don't know if Gimp has it, but I use Select by Color in PS
> quite often
> for this. It's particularly good where sky peeks through lots
> of
> branches, etc. It's much quicker and doesn't affect fine
> detail in front of the sky.

Excellent suggestion! I'm going to try that.

> I've taken your image and done a little curves adjustment...

Not bad, It's pretty close to my printed version, but does lose
the background "glow". I'll be living with my test print for a
while before attacking it again. I have a feeling that this one
is destined for a digital contact print.

> There is a technique for B&W conversion in Mastering Digital
> Printing
> that allows some interesting adjustment of the balance of
> color tone
> conversion that might help. More subtle and flexible than
> using filters, but possibly also potentially more confusing.

Once I get the final print figured out I may do a write up with
interim images showing the various steps. Like you said, it's
interesting to see how people gravitate to different tools to
accomplish the same task.

> I know I'm not the darkroom technician you are, but hope I
> might add some approaches to your toolbox.

Absolutely. I'm never done learning.

AG

http://personals.yahoo.com