[OM] Re: Another One Out Of The Closet

Subject: [OM] Re: Another One Out Of The Closet
From: "Michael R. Collins" <michael789@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:28:26 -0500
>  >However, every day more and more of this community has been turning into a
>>E-1 digital appreciation club. Being an analog kind of guy, I can no longer
>>remain.
>
>Most unfortunate.  But I believe if this list doesn't evolve, it will die.
>To evolve, we must keep up with the times.

Absolutely agree. I'm still just a "film guy", B&W only, and will be
for the foreseeable future until my disposable income crosses the
line from negative to positive. But this community is still
tremendously valuable to me, and personally I see no threat to the
"analogue" members from the increasing discussion of the Oly digital
world. Plus, I learn. My digital efforts are confined to the Olympus
[there's that word again] D-520 I borrowed back from my elder son,
and there's a bit of every E series discussion that helps in some
way, eventually. Even DoF discussions :-) .

Reminds me a little bit of the to-and-fro in the camera club to which
I belong. The digital momentum has built to the point where even many
of the premiere, older [read: more conservative] photographers in the
club are submitting mostly digital work. Yet some of the "old guard"
still grumble. There are some valid points - nowhere near enough
thought has been put into competition rules and guidelines as they
apply to digital submissions, and we'll have to put a lot more effort
next year into managing change rather than resisting it. Where
there's carping, I ask people to replay for me the transition over
the years from lantern slides to 16-projector Ektagraphic slide
shows, and the point is usually taken.

Y'all can't get rid of me that easily...

Michael
--
Michael R. Collins  ...  Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Toronto, Ontario, Canada