[OM] Re: New Fred Miranda upsizing software

Subject: [OM] Re: New Fred Miranda upsizing software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:31:26 -0800
Tom Scales wrote:

>I've tried every imaginable method of upsizing, since I print images from my
>6mp camera (not to be mentioned here, of course), and use an Epson 7600 to
>print poster size prints.
>
>Of all that I have tried, none have been superior to Photoshop CS.

Well, I don't have a 7600, so I don't know how what I see on the screen
will appear on a really big print.

Nonetheless, I have put up a comparison on the web. This is just a first
test, using FM Resize Pro defaults. I don't even know what the options
are yet. :-)

Should be pretty self-explanatory from the labeling. I chose the
particular example because is has so many elements in it, bright and
drab colors, bright sun and shade in complex combos, a face in both sun
and shadow, lots of creases in hat and clothes, etc. I think it tests
resizing in a lot of different ways. For that very reason, the sample
images are relatively large so lots of different things can be seen, so
beware, the image is about 800k. It also may be too big to compare
specific parts at once on your screen. You can open it in two browser
windows at once side by side to arrange different comparisons. It should
be in your cache, so the second window should load quickly.

Lots to see and evaluate here. I've done tests with the others before,
so no real surprise there. Although Resize appears to me to be clearly a
bit sharper than the others overall, what was an unexpected and pleasant
surprise is the much lower noise/graininess in the shadow areas.

As I said, there are a few options and I've only tried High ISO, Level 2
and without Color Noise Reduction here. One can also save named option
settings.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here it is
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/resize.htm>.

>That said, I have a new camera arriving Tuesday

Exciting!!

>and it does seem to have a specific plug-in.  Since it is 12mp, it should be
>interesting.

Well, I think it has a real edge over the others I tested on a 300D image.

>Just wish it was a digital OM.

Indeed, indeed.....

Moose