[OM] Re: Out after TOPE shot

Subject: [OM] Re: Out after TOPE shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:18:29 -0800
Mike wrote:

>> <>FM's actions are sure easier than reinventing
>> the wheel. I use intellisharpen a lot and have had good success with the
>> step interpolation one too. Have yet to try the one which combines two
>> different exposures. Nothing one can't do with a little PS knowledge but
>> it sure saves time.
>
>>For an image like this, I would select the sky...
>>
>I thought of selecting the sky, invert selection and then sharpen. A lot
>of trouble though and I'd only do it for a print.

With an image like this, selecting the sky with Magic Wand would just
take a few seconds, if that.

I've used this to do the combination of different exposures you mention.
In this shot, there is almost no detail in the sky and nothing to be
found with levels, curves, etc., but I really want the sky in the image,
not for itself, but because its reflection in the water is such an
important element. I could just crop sky and hills out, but... Since
this was a digital RAW file, I could extract another version, very
underexposed overall, but with some sky detail. I selected the sky with
a few clicks of MW (One click selects it all in the primary image.) and
dragged is onto the primary image. Still not a great sky, but now it
gives context to the reflections
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/CRW_0526combo.jpg>.

Even with sky that is less evenly toned and broken up by trees, etc.
Select by Color will often do the job in a few moments.

Moose