[OM] Re: E1 Zoom--I could be convinced

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 Zoom--I could be convinced
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:28:42 -0500
At 11:52 AM 3/25/2005 -0800, AG (the joy of new toys) Schnozz wrote:
>I've got to say, that the 14-54 lens that came with this E-1 is
>beyond outstanding!  Very little optical distortion
>(barrel/pincushion) and very close focusing!
>
>Did you know that the E-1 with 14-54 is almost identical in
>size/shape/weight to my OM-4, with Winder-2 and 200/4?

I got to play with an E-1 for the first time today at Calumet in
Philadelphia.  Interestingly enough, I had an OM-4 with a MD-2 over my
shoulder and my brother had a 3Ti/MD-2.  We noticed the same thing - the
E-1 felt amost like an OM with a drive - in fact, the E-1 might have felt
even more comfortable.

The viewfinder was neither as small nor as dark as I expected.  In fact, I
thought it was nice and bright.  The controls seemed well-placed as well.
Boy, I can't wait for the E-3!

The real reason we were at Calumet was to buy one of their shutter-speed
testers.  This little gizmo (about $100) is really neat.  We tested the 3Ti
and 4 (the 4 was recently CLA'd by John H.).  It was remarkable to see how
accurate and consistent the OM-4 shutter speeds were!  Almost exactly
dead-on throughout the entire range of shutter speeds, with less than 1/12
of a stop variance!  The 3Ti was slightly less consistent and accurate, but
was within 1/6 stop on all speeds except 1 sec, where it is a half-stop
slow (plus or minus 1/6 of a stop is considered accurate).  Not surprising
since it's all mechanical.  Now to test the other 20 or so bodies lying
around.

Moral of the story?  OM's appear to be very accurate on shutter speeds, and
John H. knows how to tune up a camera!  Now I gotta find one Clint did and
see how he stacks up...

Steve Troy