[OM] Re: The joy of prime lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: The joy of prime lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:22:02 -0800
Bernard Frangoulis wrote:

>Hmmm, sorry, I meant Kiron, not Kenko !

Well then, never mind!

> And I guess the problem was
>more in my handling the 135/2.8 + TC combo rather than its quality,
>because some (few) of the pics were indeed sharp. Why would this
>combo be more difficult to hand hold in a stable way than a 180/2.8,
>I don't know.

The vibrations of a lens/camera body system are very complex. You have
at least 3 major sources of vibration and innumerable bits and pieces
that can vibrate harmonically once started. The lens/converter combo
inherently has more significant modes of vibration with its two mount
interfaces, the loosest parts of the whole complex. The combo also
increases the number of moving parts involved in aperture stop down.

Have you tried holding the lens/converter combo with your fingers with
hand on the body while shooting, to absorb vibrations between the two? A
heavier lens is going to load the mount more than a lighter one and
reduce vibration between those parts.

Moose