[OM] Re: OM-4Ti back opening "spontaneously"

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4Ti back opening "spontaneously"
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:08:34 -0500
Sounds like the back is bent now and latches don't line up.  Everyone using
an OM should know that when you load the camera and close the back, NEVER
press the back in the center.  Close back by pressing at the end of the
back, where the latch is.  The back is made of a somewhat soft metal, and
over time, pressing the back closed in the center will bend the back,
throwing the latches out of alignment.  It is possible the camera was
dropped, hit or bumped in someway, bending the back cover.

To check for alignment, close back until latches just touch.  Eyeball the
latch locations.  Gently flex entire back until latches line up.  NEVER bend
latch with pliers as it is tack welded on and may break off.

John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
Olympus OM Service since 1977