[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:39:31 -0600
Andrew McPhee wrote:

> How about we do a similar thing and send an Olympus on a world tour?

I'm in ... I think it's a great idea! And I'm in, whatever the group
decides. But my personal preferences are:

- OM-1 body or OM-1 with 50/1.8. After all, we _are_ an OM group. If
the point of this were merely to take pictures, we could do it with
_any_ brand or even a disposable. Why not go with the camera that
started it all? Since shipping only the body is cheaper, maybe we
can require that shots be taken with a 50/1.8 (or darn close to it).
Use the same lens (type) -- pretty much anyone can make a good meal
out of lobster; it takes some skill to make a memorable meal out of
ground beef.

- I would "lose" the gnome. Between Amelie and the U.S. Internet
travel agency Travelocity (in their long and current advertising
campaign) using traveling gnomes, I feel it's been done and it
doesn't need to be done again.

- I like the hat idea. It can be part of the shipping materials and
decorated as participants see fit (though using it as packing might
exclude certain solid adornments).

But however it works out is okay with me.

Two other points:

- If folks decide on the RC and Marc's RC turns out not to be able
to make the trip, I also have an RC I'd be willing to donate to this
project.

- Is there anyone in our ranks (or families or friends) who has
access to the kind of software which could create a lowest-cost or
fastest itinerary for the camera? I imagine shipping companies must
use such software (or _very_ smart people) all the time.

Thanks for the idea, Andrew!