[OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Sending an Olympus on a world trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:58:38 -0800
iwert wrote:

>I am interested in this project as well,
>but was thinking also about customs. The value of the camera should really
>be under 50 US,- dollar, and the package marked as GIFT, otherwise belgian
>customs would charge about 20 euro VAT and Handling! would become an
>expensive project...

If it only went into each trade/customs zone once, then on to the next,
the total cost wouldn't be much. Since it wouldn't cost anything to come
into the US, I, for one, would be happy to sennd a few $ to a PayPal
account or some such to help defray such expenses.

>I'v got another idea for the project as well...
>couldn't we send a pinhole around the globe,

And name the gnome that travels with it Pinhead? Then each user could
take a pic of the Pinhead with the pinhole. :-)

More seriously, doesn't getting useful results with a pinhole take some
practice? I think a camera that each of us can use, at least relatively,
effectively for one roll and pass it on is better for a first effort.

>or a 50mm MIJ or so. Much less expensive, and easily replaceable if lost? And
>we can all use our own OM's.

Interesting idea, too. Doesn't have the same cachet as the camera that
went 'round the world, though.

Moose