[OM] Re: REAL photographers use film!

Subject: [OM] Re: REAL photographers use film!
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:52:11 -0400

>  I kind of enjoy the suspense.  Instant gratification leaves something to
be desired, and it may be that only old >retro farts like me remember that.
> Walt, smug as a bug in a rug with OMs, Graphics, Mamiyas and a fridge full
of film

Funny you should mention that, as something I've never considered a plus
with digital is instant viewing. For many years photography for me was more
about making memories than making art. And getting a film developed after
several weeks was a way of renewing memories of a summer vacation, a trip,
or a child's birthday. Even now, I love the anticipation of having a film
developed that has been in the camera for several months. That's why I
sometimes keep a camera or two loaded with a film that I complete over a
period of several months. Has anyone else ever been guilty of having a film
developed and finding two different Christmas seasons on the same film?

For this reason I sometimes deliberately leave the pics in the C5050 for a
couple weeks or more without downloading them. But it doesn't seem to be the
same.

As to storing digital, I really don't consider I have a picture until I have
it printed. Those which I store electronically only, I consider expendable,
as I fully expect to lose them all some day. Yes, I suppose I could lose all
my slides and prints in a fire, but I consider the chances of a fire pretty
small compared to the almost certainty of losing digitally stored ones.
Along those lines, someone recently posted that about the cost of buying and
developing 50 films will buy you a DSLR. It doesn't seem to work that way
for me, as I pay about the same to have a digital image printed as an image
from film, and as I say, I don't consider I have a picture until it's
printed or mounted in a slide.

As to the cost of the film itself, I often find pretty good bargains on
film. After ranting a day or so ago about not shooting Kodachrome any more,
yesterday I was at the good old salvage store in the US, Mardens, and found
a bunch of Kodachrome 64 in 24 exp for $0.99 a roll.  So I have a question
or need an informed opinion, How long can I safely expect to keep this stuff
around before it becomes too late to get K-14 developing anymore?

Wayne