[OM] Re: Tokina 150-500 zoom, was Tamron 200-500mm zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina 150-500 zoom, was Tamron 200-500mm zoom
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:22:55 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:37 PM
Subject: [OM] Tokina 150-500 zoom, was Tamron 200-500mm zoom

> Jeff Keller wrote:
>
>>The 200-500/f5.6 typically seems to sell for about $375 and up. There was
>>one that didn't sell recently(twice). It might be re-listed. There is also
>>Tokina ATX 150-500 but it has a relatively low rating by photodo.com.
>>
> Yet I've been happy with pics I've taken with the Tokina. Unfortunately
> they were mostly taken before I started getting scans or bought a film
> scanner, so I don't yet have scans of most. The ones I do have scans of
> aren't the best for testing resolution, as they were taken on a misty,
> rainy, windy day, but they may give some idea that it is at least a
> pretty good lens <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Falling.htm>. The grain
> of the 400 iso film seems as much a limiting factor as the lens.
>
> Moose

Cows in Berkeley?

Someone once claimed photodo put a high emphasis on wide open performance.
Judging by how small the telephone poles look, to be able to pick out the
wire on the 500mm image implies the lens is pretty good. It's interesting
that the rope hanging from the trestle is easily visible in the 500mm shot
but can just sort of be seen in the full pixel 150mm image. I would also
agree, the film is limiting the performance.

The trestles(?) look similar to the those supporting a cat walk which runs
between the high voltage lines in the nearby baylands. Is the farmland
former marsh land?

-jeff