[OM] Re: Tamron 200-500mm zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 200-500mm zoom
From: Craig Cunningham <cunninghamster1954@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:44:36 -0800 (PST)
Tom,

I've got an identical Tamron 200-500 f/6.9 that I won
on Ebay late last summer.

I believe that Piers is right about the lens being an
earlier Adaptall instead of a later Adaptall-2. The
one I got had a 42mm thread mount on it, and the mount
release button (which is on the body of the older
Adaptall lenses instead of on the mount of the
Adaptall-2 lenses) is missing.

In fact, when I first got it I thought it was a fixed
mount lens - leaving me pretty bummed out. Then, out
of desperation, I stuck a very small jeweler's
screwdriver in the hole where I thought the release
button should have been, and low and behold -- the
mount easily turned and released.

I stuck a spare Adaptall-2 mount on it, and the lens
works wonderfully. I can't use the A-2 mount's release
button, but I've got sufficient spare Adaptall-2
mounts, so this one just stays on the lens.

It is an absolute beast to carry in my Lowepro
Mini-Trekker backpack, but I've gotten some beautiful
Velvia slides with it of the upper penninsula of
Michigan last autumn on a John/Barb Gerlach photo
workshop.

I wanted to take it with to AZ to take some shots of
the Grand Canyon last month, but the wife convinced me
that it was too darned big to drag on a plane and all
over the state of Arizona. So, it stayed home.

I'll keep it for road trips with the auto.

BTW, mine was poorly described by the seller on Ebay,
and since he was less than forthcoming about the
condition of the mount (and release) I had little
bidding competition and won it for $91.25 USD + $15
shipping -- quite a "fang" in my opinion.

 - Craig

--- tom_f77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anybody know anything about this lens (eB item
> 3877496904)?  No idea what his
> reserve might, be but it doesn't seem to be
> attracting much interest...
>
> Tom

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx