[OM] Re: Jez's OM stuff's going on ebay

Subject: [OM] Re: Jez's OM stuff's going on ebay
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:53:26 -0700
I've tried many different auction selling methods in EB*AY and can find no
single method that routinely works best. The ideal thing is to have no
buy-it-now and have two stubborn bidders with more money than brains. Lately
I've been setting a high reserve with a BIN and putting a note in the ad
that "I may sell for less than the reserve so bid what it's worth to you."
If I get a satisfactory high bid that doesn't meet the reserve I can make
them a "second chance" offer and everything is ligit with EB*AY. That worked
well for a while then seemed to no longer excite the bidders. It's cheaper
to set a high opening bid with no reserve. EB*AY now charges a lot for the
reserve. It's an interesting game and about the time you think you have it
figured out you get fooled. /jmac

< snip

No conspiracy my paranoid sweetlings, merely a very sensible approach
to fair trading. Personally I prefer to set a fair start price rather
than a reserve. Some think it scares off bidders; I think it scares off
tyre kickers.
AndrewF

< snip