[OM] Re: Jez's OM stuff's going on ebay

Subject: [OM] Re: Jez's OM stuff's going on ebay
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:49:07 +1100
Nah - works like this. (And apologies if this has already been
explained by others). You put up an item with a secret reserve of $100.
I decide to bid on it, poor demented fool that I am and I'm prepared to
pay $160. So I bid $160. If there was no reserve and no other bidder at
the time my bid would show as one whole dollar. As I am prepared to bid
higher than the reserve, my bid automatically racks up to the reserve
and I'm shown as bidding $100. At this point we are both happy, me more
than you. A second bidder enters with a maximum bid of $140, damn and
blast him. My bid now automatically advances to $141 (assuming $1
increments) and you are now a bit happier and me less so. And then some
pratt  like Jonnequin jumps in and bids a couple of thousand and I go
and sulk for days and you, the seller, gets a terminal fit of the
giggles.
If two bidders both bid below the reserve, the higher bidder will be
shown as not making the  still unknown reserve.
No conspiracy my paranoid sweetlings, merely a very sensible approach
to fair trading. Personally I prefer to set a fair start price rather
than a reserve. Some think it scares off bidders; I think it scares off
tyre kickers.
AndrewF