[OM] Re: OT Whiskey or Whisky (Was E-1 first experience)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Whiskey or Whisky (Was E-1 first experience)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:41:11 +0000
I've labored/laboured for years under the impression that "whiskey" is the
proper spelling unless you're referring to Scots/Scotch whisky.
Encyclopedia.com seems to agree:

"whiskey [from the Gaelic for water of life], spirituous liquor distilled from
a fermented mash of grains, usually rye, barley, oats, wheat, or corn. Inferior
whiskeys are made from potatoes, beets, and other roots. The standard whiskeys
of the world are Scotch (commonly spelled whisky), Irish, American, and
Canadian. ..."

http://www.encyclopedia.com/searchpool.asp?target=whiskey&Search.x=24&Search.y=7

Walt, who'll drink to that no matter how you spell it

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>