[OM] Re: Software for photo editing

Subject: [OM] Re: Software for photo editing
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:18:49 -0800 (PST)
I rather like PWP, but find that the bulk of my editing is
actually done in THE GIMP. PWP is supurb at many things and very
fast. However, I find spotting, dodging and burning and working
with layers to be a bit cludgy.

PWP (and The GIMP) have one must have killer feature: The
ability to merge two pictures together with different exposures
to increase the dynamic range.

For example: My scanner is rather wimpy when it comes to dynamic
range, so I if have a slide with extremes, I do two seperate
scans--one overexposed giving me good shadow detail and the
other underexposed giving me good highlight details. Merge the
two together and you've got one image with the best of both
worlds.

I also use this function on occasion with the digital camera. A
landscape shot (camera tripod mounted) is done with 1/2 stop
brackets. I'll merge the bracketed images together to achieve a
much better dynamic range and get cleaner shadows and extended
highlights.

Oh, THE GIMP is free.  And well worth it!

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com