[OM] Re: 50mm f/2 macro

Subject: [OM] Re: 50mm f/2 macro
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:39:03 -0800
> From: Gene Wilburn <cdnphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Another 'newbie' question. Is this lens as good as it's cracked up to
> be by Bill Johnston (Sunday Morning Photographer) or is that a bit of
> hype?

It's one of my favorites.

> Does it do macro any
> seriously better than the 50mm f/3.5?

Only if you need two more stops of light, or the lovely bokeh that you
can only get at f2!

If you're DOF crazy, and will always be shooting stopped way down,
there probably isn't that much difference.

> a lens to keep on the
> radar or not?

You can't have mine! Plus, I bet it will make a killer E-System lens --
waiting on that E-3 before I jump...

:::: Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as
they please. -- Pythagoras
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>