[OM] Re: Why no digital backs for existing 35mm SLRs?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why no digital backs for existing 35mm SLRs?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:39:04 -0800
Well, the main thing. A 24x36 sensor is bigger than the sensitive part
of the 24X36. It will not fit in the opening of a 35mm camera. That is
why the Leica sensor back is less than full frame. There are edge
sensor that do things like provide input to the imaging engine for
things like white balance. So a back would have to have a sensor less
than 24x36. Ideally the body and back would work together for things
like metering. So the body should really be designed at the same time
with a back in mind. There are rumors that the Nikon F6 was designed
that way and there may be a sensor back on the way. Don't know.

Cost is not inconsequential because of economies of scale. For instance
a 16 MP 36 x 36 Kodak back for a 645 camera costs $12,000. A 14MP 24x36
sensored Kodak camera costs $5000. A 16MP Canon 1Ds Mark II with 24x36
sensor costs $8000. Now there are not many people who would be willing
to shell out $10,000 or so for a  less than full frame back that would
sorta work on their old camera when they could buy a fine fully
integrated and engineered full frame digital camera for much less. Well
except for some of those Leica people and, I bet, not many of them.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA