[OM] Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T

Subject: [OM] Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:19:24 +1300
Robert Smith wrote

> This made me think about the above descriptions. What is 'light' and 'dark'?
> With my Om1n I have a bit of a guess at under/overexposing to get what I
> want. I
> often take several shots with varying exposure to hopefully get one shot about
> right. This is a great waste and expensive and I am very conservative on my
> adjustments so I end up with loads near identical shots. Has anyone created a
> series of scenes which might fit the above descriptions to help us beginners
> guage how much to under/overexpose a picture in similar circumstances.?

It was, as I  understand it, for just these reasons that Ansel Adams
developed his Zone System.

He developed an understanding of the latitude of the film  he was using and
how he could manipulate it's development.

Ie, what range of light and dark he could usefully record in any photo he was
taking.

Note that these days, colour print film usually has more latitude (a wider
range) than slide film.

Then he would carefully measure the range of light that actually was in the
scene he wanted to photograph.

He would then visualise what print he wanted to make.

Then he would decide where he would fit the film latitude range within the
range of actual illumination.

If the range of light in a shot went from  2 - 8 in a 0 - 10 maximum possible
range, and the film is capable of only 2 - 6  or 3 - 7  or 6 - 10, then you
have
some difficult compromises to decide on.

That roughly is what I understand to be the essence of the ground-breaking
technique he developed.

Brian