[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:48:43 +0100
>Chris wrote:
>
>>>  it certainly can't get close to the accuracy of incident
>>>  metering with a light meter.
>>
>>  Oh, I think it can Simon.
>
>It can't. It's not that it's not good; it's not that it's not useful. In
>fact, it's superb. But it's just not measuring incident light.

For me, the important part in the OM-4/4Ti is the ability to spot
meter at all, not the multispot (although it is useful at times). I
never use the shadow/hilight buttons, but I use the spotmeter and the
exposure compensation dial all the time.

With time, you learn to spot meter a given area of the scene, and
then add or substract a given number of stops according to your
rendering intent (e.g., if you measured a spot which is "light", add
one stop of light to render it light instead of gray). The best intro
I have read on this system is in John Shaw's "Nature Photography". As
John Shaw puts it, once a given part of the scene is exposed
properly, the rest "will fall into place".

Bernard