[OM] Re: Digital dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital dilemma
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:34:06 -0800
on 2/20/05 11:44 PM, Johan Malmstrom at jom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> For the same
> price (almost, a bit more) I get the step-in model of the E-series
> equipped  with a rather cheap (small aperture) lens. But the sensor is
> larger and by that maybe it's easier to get some kind of shallower DOF?
> The argument here is that in the future I could grow in to this system.
> But I wont buy another lens from the start, because that will not fit
> in budget.
>
> As you are the best bunch of enablers, possessors of deeper knowledge
> and curmudgeons please come to my help!
>
> / Johan

Glad to help, as lately I've been considering the same future choice (though
financially I won't be jumping into it soon...) As I see it, particularly in
your situation, there is a value in the ability to use the OM lenses with
the digital body. That implies an interchangable lens. Now as to whether
that should be an Olympus body or not, I've not gotten that far yet. In your
case, as many of the pictures will be indoors (studio?) or product shots,
using OM lenses in manual aperture mode won't be too inconvenient. In this
case, choosing to use a body that allows leveraging your existing stock of
OM lenses (however awkwardly) adds value and tips the decision towards that
interchangeable-lens body in my analysis.

My personal self-expectation leads me to believe that when I do get a
digital body, I'll start out with good intentions planning to use OM lenses
a lot, and then over time, due to convenience I'll wind up using mostly the
designed-in digital lenses.

I am quite pleased with Olympus's new lens offerings, as one of the great
advantages of the 4/3 system if Olympus decides to do something with it is
that lenses designed specifically for 4/3 format can be
smaller/lighter/faster (but apparently not cheaper) than lenses that need to
cover 35mm full-frame as well. I also think the E300 is a step in the right
direction, which is to make a smaller but full-featured body... kind of like
the OM was when compared to the other 'pro-grade' SLR's of the early 1970's.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...