[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:14:17 -0000
James wrote:

> there are only a few problems with the om3 that I can see
> 1, repair is expensive. The mechanical speed stuff under the
> mirror failed on mine and it became uneconomical to fix it

It's a fair point; but this is the first time I've ever heard of a 3 or
a 3Ti actually going wrong. (Let's wait for all the rest to pop up now!)

> 2, no easy way to do night photography (I don't own a light meter)

I suppose it depends on the type of night-time photography, but I'm not
convinced that being able to hold the shutter open for 4 minutes on auto
is going to be that useful, nor that accurate (bearing in mind the
precise effect you will be after with night-time photography, which the
camera knows nothing about).

> 3. not so easy to do point and shoot (especially with slide film)

No, but if you're used to the 1, that shouldn't be a problem...

> 4. no mirror or app prefire or self timer

I actually find that rather annoying. I know it helps clarity, but it's
a pity you can't switch it off.

> I love my om3 and if I could get it working again for sensible
> money I would be very happy...

I think you've been unlucky with it. How much have you been quoted to
fix it?

Simon