[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:07:17 -0000
James asked:

> Interesting. I never thought about buying a light meter
> rather than relying on spot metering. What is it going to
> do for me that the om4ti can't do?

Measure incident light. Spot metering, however good it may be, still always
assumse the object reflecting the light is 18% grey. Oly assist the user in
countering that with the SHADOW and Hi-LIGHT functions, and (to be fair) they
work well, but it's still not as good as taking an incident light reading when
you're ignoring the reflectity of the subject completely.

> what sort of prices for a good one?

If you like analogue gear (which I do), the Gossen Lunasix 3 can be had for
around £30 (60USD, 50 EUR), or the Lunasix F (with flash meter) for about £60
(110USD, 90EUR).

I don't know much about modern and/or digital ones, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Simon