[OM] OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: Gene Wilburn <cdnphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:27:45 -0500
Although I've owned a pair of OM-1's since 1972 (and still have them),
consider me a newbie. I simply bought a few primes and used the cams
and have never learned much OM lore.

My OM-1's have sat a bit idle in recent years as I've been 'shooting
around' -- being equipment promiscuous with a number of different
types of cameras. It's been fun actually and I've learned a lot about
my likes and dislikes.

Now I've come full circle. I've rediscovered my OM-1's and have been
thoroughly enjoying them once again -- thanks Piers for that excellent
50mm/1.4 lens! Both OM-1 bodies are in great condition. But an
opportunity has arisen to purchase a used OM-4T from a friend. The
question for me is, is it worth it?

I shoot primarily B&W -- slow film in one cam, fast film in the other.
I rarely shoot slides (sorry, I use digital for most of my colour
work). I occasionally shoot col negative film. I usually shoot
handheld though I use a tripod for long lenses, macros and portraits.
The tripod work makes up a smallish percentage of my overall shooting.
I prefer handheld metering over in-camera metering for most of my work
unless I'm travelling and want to carry minimal gear.

WIth this background, would a 4T be a significant step up for me? I'm
a bit puzzled as to why the resolution marks in Gary's charts always
favour the 4T over the 1. Is this related only to very careful tripod
work and inherent OM-1 internal vibration? Would I see this difference
in the 'real' (i.e. handheld) world?

Gene