[OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:01:07 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2005 7:36:48 AM Central Standard Time,
cdnphoto@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I've  thought of a bubble level -- any preferences? I think the CV one
is  supposed to be nice. I would think a bubble level works fine for
tripod  work but I suspect a grid would be more useable for general
handheld  shooting.

You are correct about its being best when used with a tripod. I would think
it would be pretty much useless when being hand held.  You comment was
interesting, in that it pointed out to me how much I am a "tripod kind of
photographer."  It isn't that I don't shot hand held, but I sure use a  tripod
alot.

Now to your question.  I have two bubble levels which I use for  everything
from a Zero Image pinhole to a 4X5 Toyo.  One is a Hakuba (_www.hakubausa.com_
(http://www.hakubausa.com) ) which I bought from a  local retail shop at about
$25-$30. It is nicely made and does a great  job.  The other I picked up from
a dealer at a local camera show for $10,  which isn't quite as nicely made,
and it also does a great job.  Both are  two way levels, which is the kind I
would think that we be most useful. One  or both are always in my camera bag,
which is in my car with my tripod.   Another useful accessory that is always in
the car is a double bean bag, which I  use for two purposes. Placed on a
partially rolled down window of the car,  it makes a great camera rest when
shooting from my car seat (turn the  engine off if shooting slow ISO or if you
just
want sharp images).  It also  is used to keep stuff like my tripod or portfolio
box or whatever from sliding  around in the back of my SUV.   Bill Barber