[OM] Re: [OT]British Language

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]British Language
From: "Michael R. Collins" <michael789@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:31:49 -0500
>1. "Anti-social behavior" which is not a crime in this country and just
>a matter of rudeness.I am sure it is a euphemism for something else.

Probably a synonym for "anti-social behaviour" :-) . For the official
UK government view [I kid you not], check
"http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime/antisocialbehaviour";. The Home
Office says, "Anti-social behaviour includes a range of problems -
noisy neighbours, abandoned cars, vandalism, graffiti, litter and
youth nuisance. It can hold back the regeneration of our most
disadvantaged areas, creating the environment in which crime can take
hold".

>2. "Intercepted evidence" which seems to be an issue the handling of
>terrorist trials.

Same as here in North America: phone tapping and other forms of
"interception" of communication. Not sure of UK law regarding what is
legal and what is not, or what is currently admissible or not in
court proceedings - one of the resident Brits will have to tell you,
unless he fears being monitored :-) .

Michael
--
Michael R. Collins  ...  Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx