[OM] Re: E1 + manual Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 + manual Zuiko
From: Ton Maas <tonmaas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:14:01 +0100
Sorry to intrude so suddenly, but...

>The E-1 metering is pretty good with the OM Zuikos, but can be off.

So I've noticed. But can anyone explain why this happens?

I was really looking forward to my free factory adapter, which would
enable me to use again some of my favorite glass. The first thing
that put me off, was the little list Olympus includes with the
adapter, indicating the maximum aperture settings for various lenses.
Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that my all time favorite 90/2.0
macro had to be stopped down to at least F4.0, while the 50/3.5 can
be used fully open.

All in all, I was not too pleased with the results. Not only was the
E-1's metering a lot less reliable than with the new digital zuikos,
but I also found the resulting images less sparkling and snappy than
those made with the 14-54 and the 50-200. Even where sharpness is
concerned, the 90/2.0 seems easily outperformed by both zooms.

So I got myself the new 50/2.0 macro instead and must say that I am
VERY happy with that one!

Still wonder why the difference is so great, though.

Ton (occasional lurker)