[OM] Re: What is old is new again

Subject: [OM] Re: What is old is new again
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:01:33 -0000
AG Schnozz wrote:

> I *Discovered* the "highlight" and "shadow" buttons. I also
> *found* its ability to show dynamic spot exposure readings
> in auto mode.  I've ONLY > had this camera for 3+ years.  Go figure.
> I've almost exclusively used this camera in manual mode.

Still, no reason not to use the "HiLight" and "Shadow" buttons in
manual, is there?

> Anybody notice just how "perfect" the controls on the OM bodies
> are?  Today's cameras are just glorified point-and-shoots that
> don't require anything more of the photographer than the ability
> to lamely point the lens in the appropriate direction and push
> the button.  Anytime you want to do anything special you have
> to defeat the features of the camera.  With cameras like the
> OM-4(T/Ti) you have full and complete control over the focus
> and exposure and absolutely no defeating is required. Proper
> exposure determination on the digitized analog scale and the
> ability to control everything by tactile feel are beyond today's
> camera designs.

Whilst I agree in principle, it's not as if there weren't camera in the
"olden days" where you had no real control, or had to "defeat" the
camera to get at it. Take the 35RC as an example (and, I believe, the
RD) -- switch off Auto mode and bang goes the light metering -- why? And
the XA -- took me a while how to run 18 frames through it yesterday
without exposing them (already exposed in a different camera).

> Just maybe, the OM-4(T/Ti) really is the best SLR ever designed
> from an exposure control perspective.

I don't know enough about other makes to comment, but certainly the 4Ti
is a versatile camera, though the buttons are hard to reach with MD
attached.

Regards,

Simon