[OM] Re: advice on digital camera purchase.

Subject: [OM] Re: advice on digital camera purchase.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:12:11 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:

>The confusing thing, as I have picked up from discussions over the last 6 - 12
>months, is that lens focal length numbers for digital cameras do not equate
>with those for 35mm film cameras.
>
>Something like 14mm digital = 28mm film camera I think.

It IS confusing, especially as it differs with different cameras. It is
all a matter of the relationship of the sensor size to the 24x36 mm of
full frame 35mm. Less confusing, I expect for those already used to
shooting other formats. In any case, you are correct for the E-1 and
E-300, where the ratio is 2.0x. For the consumer Can*n DSLRs it is 1.6x
and for the equivalent Nik*ns, 1.5x. One can always buy a Can*n 1Ds,
sufficient funds being available, which has a full frame sensor, so the
lens coverage is the same as 35mm film.

Moose