[OM] Re: (OM) Choice of digital camera

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Choice of digital camera
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:42:58 -0700
 > [Coolpix 4500]
 > Added bonus...it also does macro, focusing
> down to about 2 cm.

  That's what I have, and I really like it. It's got a good, sharp (if a
bit slowish, but that's what you get with tiny bits of glass) lens,
decent zoom range, all the manual/auto controls I need, great
ergonomics, and the split body feature is occasionally very useful
(though one of those fold-out screens would have a similar effect).

  I also picked up the .63x and 2x converters, because I really missed a
decent wide angle, and now I can get down to 24mm. (On-topic again --
the default lens that lives on my camera is a 24/2, because I like that
extra bit of space in the shot)

  How good is the macro? Here's a shot of the numbers from my credit
card (no, not enough numbers to be any use, but they're a standard size
to get the idea of how big the object is) -- it blows me away that I can
see details this way that I had no idea existed when just looking at
things with the naked eye.

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/nikon/macro/visa_full.JPG

  Or for a more organic feel:
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/nikon/macro/eye_full.JPG

  or for a twist on the normal photo of graph paper:
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/nikon/macro/DSCN0639.JPG

  Oh, and while I'm being OT, some fun with white balance, and another
example where the camera can see things that I couldn't see -- this
time, colours rather than details:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/nikon/night_vision/DSCN0602.JPG

  and after setting the white balance on something I knew was white:
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/nikon/night_vision/DSCN0603.JPG

  -- dan