[OM] Re: More winter photos

Subject: [OM] Re: More winter photos
From: "d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:24:50 -0000
> Martin Walters wrote:
>
>> I must admit that deliberately over-exposing snow is counter-intuitive
>> for me.  I have always been more concerned about bright snow "tricking"
>> or overpowering the meter and underexposing all the darker/shadow
>> areas.  I suspect that when there is bright snow (ie, with sun) there is
>> no need to over-expose.

I always shoot slides, and did the same as you for a while. Looking back
through them, I can see the trend.

I changed after hearing Chris Bonington say something, echoing what he
'said' in some Olympus advertising.

He said, if I recall, that the OM2 metering was so good, he just left the
camera on +2 compensation and shot away. This was high altitude
mountaineering photography, with mostly snow surrounding little bits of
rock scenery and people. Take a look at any of his books from around the
mid-seventies on.

It is counter-intuitive, but it works. And when you think about what your
average meter does, it's logical, Captain.

Spock.

No, D.

--
Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS