[OM] Re: Back on-list, and a question

Subject: [OM] Re: Back on-list, and a question
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:33:34 -0600
Quoting Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>:

>   Question: I have an OM2S which works fine most of the
> time, but which
> tends to leave dark portions on the left-hand side of the
> image on
> occasions, because the curtain sync is off or something.
> I took it to a
> local repair place, and they quoted me $250 (~US$200) to
> fix it, which
> seems reasonable given how much fiddling around there is
> involved and
> apparently OM2S's are more complicated internally than
> most, but it's
> still a fair bit of money.

snip

>   Any thoughts? What does an OM4T get me above an OM2S? I
> know there's
> more sophisticated metering options, but I can keep track
> of spot
> readings in my head fairly well as it is, and the
> shadow/light buttons
> aren't critical either. Build quality?
>
>   -- dan

Dan,
There's really two different issues intermixing.  Is the 4T
"better" than the 2S as an upgrade, and Is it worth it just
to buy a used 2S rather than fix your current one.

I think the nickle-in-the-slot answer is just get a good 4T
since you've got some hopes of parts and service for a
while.  The 4T is "better" in that it offers more features,
but I use the 4T and 2S interchangably for shooting slides
and find both equally good in auto mode and just working
differently in the way the spot information is applied when
you want to rely on spot metering.  If you're going to a
slot canyon to shoot anytime soon with slow film, get a 4T
as you'll appreciate being able to take a spot reading in
auto mode that will render a very long exposure.

Being very partial to the 2S, I would urge you if you like
the camera to work with KEH to find a good body for less
than your fix-it costs.  You'll be able to test it and make
sure that it works perfectly or return it.  But even I would
be hard-pressed to justify a 2S if I could get a 4T for not
too much more.

Joel W.