[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: Barry Hinderks <bkhinderks@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:37:34 -0800
At 08:17 PM 1/9/05 -0700, Ian wrote:

>By the way, I've been a GM tech in the dealership environment
>for about 25 years.  I've had plenty of experience working on
>those diesels...though it's all a distant memory now.

Ian,

Your GM experience is certainly different than mine. The service techs in
my dealership were buying up all the old 350 diesels as when they are run
as a diesel and not treated as a gas engine they perform well. I've also
seen them used in marine application where they did exceptionaly well.
Biggest mistake GM made was allowing their salespeople to sell them on the
basis they were "just like the Olds gas engine" but they were going to save
a ton of money on fuel.
Barry H