[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: ian <ianrmac@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:56:01 -0700
Barry Hinderks wrote:

> Your GM experience is certainly different than mine. The service
> techs in my dealership were buying up all the old 350 diesels as when
> they are run as a diesel and not treated as a gas engine they perform
> well. I've also seen them used in marine application where they did
> exceptionally well. Biggest mistake GM made was allowing their
> salespeople to sell them on the basis they were "just like the Olds
> gas engine" but they were going to save a ton of money on fuel.

That is different then my experience.  I don't know of one tech over
the years that had even the slightest interest in owning one of those
boat anchors.  I'm not sure what you mean by "running them as
a diesel".  The dealership that I worked at while I was involved
with repairing the Olds diesels was a GM truck shop.  Most of
the customers that bought the GM trucks with the Olds diesels
were already familiar with diesels...either in farm equipment,
medium duty trucks, or highway rigs.  These engines didn't stand
up to even light duty use.  The very last year that they were made,
they made some improvements that appeared to work "better".
But like many GM experiments...they just get the bugs worked
out of the item, and then they phase it out.

By the way, in keeping with the Olympus topics....I just noticed
this on yabE..... 3866225423.....an M-1 for sale?  Body is M-1,
lens is OM system....kinda like mine.

Ian