[OM] Re: Shooting Glaciers and Snow

Subject: [OM] Re: Shooting Glaciers and Snow
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:44:59 -0800
From: "Enrique Cabrera Rochera" <qcabrera@xxxxxxxxxx>

> I am plannign a trip to the Patagonia in Chile, including some
> promising visits to glaciers and that sort of stuff.
>
> I have no experience in shooting in the Snow.. Any
> filters? Any tricks?

Get a gray card and learn how to use it! Your internal metering will be
way off when shooting on snow.

You can compare a gray card reading with a "normal" reading and dial-in
the appropriate exposure compensation if you're going to be shooting a
lot of similar shots.

> (yes, I plan to keep the OM4 warm and battery
> fed under the coat)

Not always a good idea. Unless it is VERY cold -- like at least -10C --
you run the risk of condensation. Under your coat is not only warm, it
is HUMID, especially when exerting oneself climbing around a glacier.
When you take the camera in and out, the temperature changes will cause
condensation. It's best to either leave it out or in -- and pictures
are not so interesting inside the coat. :-)

:::: The earth's immune system, so to speak, has recognized the
presence of the human species and is starting to kick in. The earth is
attempting to rid itself of an infection by the human parasite. --
Richard Preston
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>