[OM] Re: [OT] Is The MAC Dead - NO!

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Is The MAC Dead - NO!
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:26:03 +0100
some Fair comments but I did say it was my personal view and experience
- I have to look after mac's and PC's at work as well as unix servers.

I should have pointed out the windows plus points as I see them - more
applications are available and more choice of hardware suppliers and
generally cheaper to upgrade.

but for me on a personal level I am interested only in internet, emails,
photo's and recording my trumpet playing so a mac suits my needs better
at the moment and as I have enough of computers at work I don't play at
home only use them

please see comments below in my defence

Tom Scales wrote:
> OK, I've stayed out of this, but misinformation and outright wrong
> statements like this cannot go unchallenged.

It may be true that there's less trouble with viruses due to market
share neverless at this time I don't have to worry about virus's  when
logging on to the internet with my mac at this time.

>>2. hardware is very well built
>

> So are most PC boxes.  Just make careful purchases. My Dells, middle of the
> line models, are very well built.

true some PC's are well built I didn't say that they were not.

>>3. can access the linux underneath to sort problems out if necessary
>

> But why?  That's like saying "I like Windows 98 better than XP because I can
> get to DOS".
>
> Oh, and it is NOT Linux underneath, it's UNIX.  Not exactly the same thing.

Its much easier to kill applications or delete files etc and sometimes
it's necessary to get to OS level with my users, and sometimes it would
be nice to get to that level in windows. slip of the fingers re linux
not exactly the same but close enough.

>>4. can close the ibook and sleep the machine and it will start everytime
>> without reboot - try that on windows.
>

> I put my IBM Thinkpad to sleep off and on all day. I haven't rebooted it in
> the last week.  Whoopee.  Works fine on any Windows machine of the last 3
> years running XP.  Misinformation.

general feedback from our users, our powerbooks and ibooks sleep and
wakeup for months without needing a reboot. Our windows notebooks don't
but I stand corrected if yours will do that.

>>5. Hardware doesn't age as quick so better long term investment and new
>>prices are very cheap
>>

> Or better said: Hardware doesn't innovate as fast, so my machine doesn't
> appear to be as out of date.

I am not sure inovate is the correct word, maybe develop would be better.

>>6. and finally many home users are not logging onto the internet so
>>often, because it takes so long to connect, by the time the latest
>>security patches and virus updates have downloaded - it too long just to
>>check email quickly.
>>

> Give me a break.  XP downloads its updates in the background with no
> performance penalty at all.  I always have instantaneous internet access.
> This one just appears to have been made up.

Are you using dial up modem I agree its no problem with faster lines,
and I meant to say occasional home users who mostly use dial up. But a
lot of my family and friends are very occasional users so the updates
may be a few weeks old and hence quite large.  Although Mac OSX seems to
be be updating more frequently you have the choice of delaying it but
its more dangerous to not do it with windows.

>>I personally am glad I made the move (I was not interested before the
>>panther version though) as work performance is not all about processor
>>clock speed.
>>
>>On a daily basis I use solaris, aix and windows for work and have used
>>all systems for browsing and email etc but now I mainly use a 5 year old
>> MAC.
>>

> I'm glad you like it and are comfortable with it. Perhaps these ridiculous
> comments on Windows are your rationalization.

Thanks I am comfortable with my decision it came after a lot of thought,
  and for me the perfectly rational choice, however If I wanted to do
more than scanning and editing photos and mixing music I would have
probably bought another windows machine.