[OM] Re: Film types setting in VueScan

Subject: [OM] Re: Film types setting in VueScan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:26:07 -0800
Mike wrote:

>Being a complete newbie with VueScan I've noticed that it has
>corrections built in for various film types. I've been using Fuji
>Superia 400 print film mostly here in the dreary grey winter. VueScan
>has settings like Super G, SHR, Super HG, 400 Gen 1, Gen 2, etc., etc.
>How do I tell what I have? The boxes are mostly in Chinese (from B&H).
>So far I eliminate what I know I don't have and then pick the setting
>which gives results I like best out of what's left. Guidance and/or
>links appreciated. Thanks

The corrections built in are simply for variations in the orange layers
of different films. Some time ago, it was possible to scan a blank piece
of the film an build one's own corrections, but that disappeared, unless
it's hidden somewhere I can't find. There are 2 other solutions. One is
to shoot a standard gray card or use something neutral gray in an image
as explained on the "Adjusting Color balance" page of the help file.

The serious way to do it is to profile the film as outlined in the "Film
Profiling with IT8 Targets" page. This is superior to the older, simpler
adjustment for the base color. One can even build different profiles for
the same film under different lighting conditions, so that winter,
summer, particular interior lighting, flash shots, etc. all come out
balanced the same. I suspect this is only available in the pro version.

For myself, I don't worry a great deal about getting color balance
perfect at the scanner level. I prefer to do more subtle stuff in PS. I
do pay some attention to capturing the whole range of brightness a the
full bit depth of the scanner (14 bits in this case, although you can
increase that per the "Maximizing Image Quality" help page). If you use
some Color Banance settings on the "Color" Tab, you negate the effect of
the profiles. Be sure to read the "Color tab" help page top section. If
you output a RAW image as well as whatever else you want, you can later
reproces it for color balance and such without rescanning the film.

Moose