[OM] Re: Lithium Ion batteries and Cold temperatures

Subject: [OM] Re: Lithium Ion batteries and Cold temperatures
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:06:40 -0500
The manual says to warm the batteries up in cold weather, so it is
standard operating procedure and a known problem with these types of
batteries. The first thing that went on the camera was the f-stop
reading, which became F--.--, that was my first clue. Turning off then
on reset the F-stop reading, but the battery only lasted a couple of
more shots. This is a severe limitation for me and nature photography.
The temperature was around -12C or +10F. I suppose any camera
dependent on Li-ion batteries will have this problem. But I've had an
OM-4t out in 0F degree weather and it keeps working. It would be nice
if there was a cold weather battery you could swap with the Li-ion.

One thing that was nice, I switched to the 50-200 zoom lens, which has
a very long hood that helps keeps the snow off the lens. And the E-1 is
more weather tolerant than an OM.

Wayne