[OM] Re: Fwd: Re: OM-4 broken battery spring

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Re: OM-4 broken battery spring
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:54:50 -0800
Borut Bajzelj wrote:

>Now, that I know how to dig out battery compartment wire I found that there
>was no break (as I suspected) between it and the spring. As I put in a pair of
>357 silver batteries (Rayovac, are they of  the same quality as other brands?)
>I noticed only a very very weak intermittend sound and no reaction on battery
>check or other functions, my  OM-4 is dead, only the red B and 60 buttons work.
>What else could I check or measure?
>Thanks for your enthusiastic support,

1. Any brand of 357 battery should do fine when fresh. there may be a
difference in service life is all. However, I and others have
occasionally encountered new in the package batteries that are bad. You
must either check with a voltmeter or try another pair from a different
source. Voltage of a fresh 357 should be at least 1.55v.

2. The contact and wire you looked at may still not be making full
contact. Remember, corrosion happens. A check with an ohmmeter would be
the way to be sure. Also check that the spring presses the batteries
firmly againt the cap. You can feel if there is resistance when pressing
down the battery cap to scerw it in.

3. The contact and wire are only one end of the current loop, and the
more reliable end, at that. The other end is through the battery cap to
the bottom plate, then from the bottom plate to the camera frame.
Grease, dirt, corrosion, physically loose connections, etc. at these
connections can also interfere with the circuit. Remember you are only
working with 3 volts, it doesn't take much to mess it up. A check with
an ohmmeter should reveal any problem there, but it would be a good idea
to check and clean the threads of the battery cap and those into which
it fits, the places where the bottom plate and frame are in contact and
the screws that attach the bottom plate.

It's always good practice to check the simple things first, before
assuming it is the circuit.

Moose