[OM] My shipping experiences was: Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l

Subject: [OM] My shipping experiences was: Ethical Q re shipping E*bay item Int'l
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:57:36 +0100
Hello Skip,

I am sorry to hear about you experience. As far as I can see you did nothing
wrong at all, only took your time to get the item shipped. You said there
were issues why you did so. If you explained that to your customer he should
be so nice to wait.

As a buyer I usually receive everything within two weeks from all over the
world. The record being 4 days from the US. It can take  a liot longer too I
am affraid. I think it was tyhree years ago I did wait 9 week for a scale
model of a Honda S2000 to arrive. I would say on everage far international
shipment hav take a little over a week to arrive.

As a seller I alway try to ship out the next business day after receiving
payment. Have I had to work a few week ago when several items were sniped
late sunday night and immediately payed for using Paypal! Packaged the items
until 1:30 AM to keep this promise. Pre packing would help but can give
extra work if several items go to the same buyer. Sometimes shipping is very
fast. Twice l;ast month I shipped from the Netherlands to Finland in two
working days. But six weeks ago I shipped a 80mm macro lens of to the UK and
3 weeks later still nothing had arrived. Now I don't really dare to mail the
guy if the lens finally arrived. He didn't contact me though, so i guess it
will be allright. No feedback was left so far, neither positive nor
negative.

Insured shipping certainly is not allways helpfull. I used BIN on a Olympus
E-1 (item #3858102611) on december 5 an paid immediately (Yes I finally went
digital but that's a completely different story I will tell the list about
when I have received an tested/used it for a while). The selle shipped the
camera on december 9. He was very busy with his seasonal buyers and
communicated openly about it, so I did not make a point of it. Of course I
wanted insured and trackable shipping (USPS). That way I can be sure he
really shipped something out and did not only take my money and a run. He
provided me with the tracking information and I could see that the camera
left the US on december 10. I ticked the option on the site to inform me by
mail about any additional info about the shipment. Nothing so far. Where did
my package go? Still in the air while the Jumbo was refuelled for teh 7th
time? Don't think so. I just checked the site again for my package and got
the following news:
---
You entered EU87 4409 514U S

Your item arrived in GERMANY at 9:33 pm on December 13, 2004. Information,
if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Here is what happened earlier:
INTERNATIONAL DISPATCH, LOS ANGELES AMC, December 10, 2004, 4:36 am
ENROUTE, December 10, 2004, 3:25 am, LONG BEACH, CA 90810
ACCEPTANCE, December 09, 2004, 2:08 pm, LOS ANGELES, CA 90001
---
Seems the email option did or does not work.

Today I also received a letter in my regular mail from GLS Global Import. As
you migfht have guessed I have to pay Import duties. Away is the fine deal I
made. The seller has ticked the "gift" option on the declaration form, but
that does not help. the letter states that this will only give you the first
45 Euros out of the taxes (I did not know that).

I think the insurance and the therefore needed declared value tipped of the
tax officer. So maybe the trick would have worked when the packade had been
sent without insurance. Who knows? I'll let you know how the storie
continues. There will be more to tell since the seller allready mailed to
inform me that he has sent me the 14-45 lens instead of the 14-54! He will
ship out the good one today and I will be able to track it again (Taxes
again!?)

Just to share my experiences

Wiliam (Who allways pays his income taxes and even works for the government
but will try to avoid paying any more taxes)