[OM] Reflecting on the weird stuff we do to ourselves. Slightly on topic

Subject: [OM] Reflecting on the weird stuff we do to ourselves. Slightly on topic.
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:36:57 EST
As the poster child for the "get off your butt and onto the playing field"
campaign for this list, I find it interesting some of the cra#  we do to
ourselves.  Yes, I've encouraged folks to set goals, to take more pictures,  to
get
together with friends and take pictures, To join a local club, to get
involved with others with similar interests, to enter all sorts of contests, to

exhibit their work and in general to do things which would have them grow as
photographers.  Those of you, who read my postings know that I occasionally  do
these things and report them here on the list.

Last month I had two of my prints selected for exhibition in a juried
photography show.  That was a first for me and I was pleased with having  two
of the
six images I submitted selected to be included in the 25% or so that  were
chosen for exhibition.

This month I entered 3 images (2 of which were entered in the first show  and
not accepted) in a juried art exhibit which included work from any  media, in
fact there was maybe 10 percent or less that were photographs.

When I prepared the images and selected the three for submission, I said to
my wife something like, "I would be surprised if none of these were selected,
as  this is some pretty nice work.  This an art exhibit and these are pretty
artsy fartsy.  I think they will like them, in fact, it wouldn't surprise  me
if all three were selected."

On Saturday I took the framed prints down to the show and submitted them  and
looked around at the other work.  There were all sorts of paintings,
watercolors, ceramics, sculptures, drawings, etc., and there was some really
good
work, representing the work of some very talented people.  When I  got home, I
told my wife something like this.  "Honey, I don't know about  this deal.
There was some really beautiful work down there.  I was  blown away.  I may not
get anything selected.  That wouldn't surprise  me."

Sunday rolled around and those people who had work submitted were to be
notified of their work being rejected on Sunday afternoon or Monday by  6PM.
Those selected would get no call. No call Sunday. Well, they must  have had a
bunch of people to call and I'll get my call on Monday.   Wish it had come of
Sunday, so I could go ahead and get it over with.   Monday was a long day.  No
calls.  Did the call come to my office  and someone didn't give me the message?

When I get home I'll check the  messages, as surely they left a message. No
message.  Does this mean all  three were selected for exhibition?  They were,
after all, some nice images  and yes, they were pretty artsy fartsy, but all
three?  Must be some kind  of mistake.  It is going to be embarrassing to go to
the opening of the  show, expecting to see your work on exhibition only to
discover it was some kind  of mistake and you stuff is stuffed away in some
closet
waiting for you to pick  it up.  Didn't you get the call?  Oh, we are so
sorry. I don't know  how that could have happened.  Thank you for entering.

So the question is, why do we do this to ourselves?  I am out their  playing
and my work is good.  People seem to like what I see.  Were I  not to play and
risk rejection, I wouldn't be able to celebrate my  successes.  Today, I
celebrate my reward for playing, for creating, for  growing and for learning.
This group has been a part of each of those  areas and for that, I thank each
of
you.

I'll let you know how the exhibition opening goes.  Bill  Barber

Oh, yes.  All the images were done with my Olympus e-1 and digital  lenses.