[OM] Re: wtb: metal body cap

Subject: [OM] Re: wtb: metal body cap
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:02:53 -0400
I've read somewhere that you can make the best hole by making an extremely
small sharp dent only with the needle, then sand the bump with emery paper
until a nice small even hole appears. Thin brass shim might work also, as
well as the aluminum you suggested.
Okay, I've never actually tried it, just read about it, but it sounded like
it might work.
Wayne

> Iwert,
> The normal way to make a pinhole lens is to take a plastic body cap and
drill a large hole (about 1 cm diameter) in the centre; then take a piece of
aluminium drink can about the size of a euro coin, a piece of soft wood and
a sewing needle; rest the aluminium on the wood and stab it with the needle.
If all goes well you will have a small hole (0.1-0.2 mm diameter).  This
equates to about f/200.  Now glue/tape the metal piece so the hole is in the
geometric centre of the body cap.