[OM] Re: T45 -- my solution

Subject: [OM] Re: T45 -- my solution
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:58:14 -0500
Walt said:
I've got two T45s, two dead or dying NiCd packs, and a charger.  I may
or may not see about fixing or getting fixed the packs, but my solution
has been a Quantum battery for on-the-go use and a pair of AC adapters
for stay-at-home or by-the-SUV use.  (I've actually used both T45s at
the same time, but that's a story for another day.)  The Quantum
solution is not cheap, but it gives even faster recycling than a "good"
pack and gives the added bonus of transferring the weight to the belt
(my preference) or to the shoulder.  Like it's hard to beat raw
horsepower in cars, it's hard to beat big guide numbers with flashes.
---------------------------------------

For those who find the Quantum Turbo to be a too much of a bite out of
the wallet you can substitute this:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG>
It's also available from Adorama for the same $123.95
<http://www.adorama.com/SPDCBP.html>

Here's another view from the distriutor's website.
<http://www.bkaphoto.com/detail.asp?section=Flash%20and%20Lighting&cat=Light%20Kits&product=SPDCBP&search=yes>

Although the distributor doesn't seem to recognize it very well, this is
a Quantum Turbo compatible battery (including battery charge status
indicators) with about 1/3 greater capacity and at 1/3 the price.  The
price for the greater capacity is that it's slightly longer and heaver.
  A friend has one and we have tested Metz 45CL-4 and a T-32 on it using
Quantum cables.  At first it didn't work and then we realized that the
cable was not completely seated in the socket.  The opening in the
plastic case for insertion of the cable was a millimeter or so off
center.  This caused some interference with inserting the cable
connector and required a little surgery to ease the fit but other than
that all was OK.  Works well and I intend to buy one soon.  A T-32
recycles from full dump in about 1-1/2 seconds.

So, remove the battery packs from those T-45's and give them new life
with an external battery.  You will also need a Quantum C03 cable for
either T-32 or T-45.  They can be had on the bay for about $20.
ps:  As in the Quantum, the battery here is lead acid so does not suffer
from NiCad memory effect.  It can also power lots of other types of flashes.

Chuck Norcutt