[OM] Re: OT - north west of Calgary

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - north west of Calgary
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:05:56 +0000
Hi Gord

I know what you mean about the wet bits and the spaces.  I have spent
many months flying Tornados from Goose Bay, to the northwest and to the
southwest.  Beating around the lower airspace you can see how few
people there are and how wet some of the spaces are.  And the weather:
sometimes you could see how bad the weather was for miles, and miles.
We used to fly in any weather and at night, using terrain-following
radar (with autopilot) when necessary, but clicking it out when it was
possible to fly in sight of the ground.

I have great memories of the flying in Canada's wildernesses to the
east, but the furthest west I have been is CFB Trenton (in a Tornado)
and Vancouver and Calgary (by airliner).

Chris

On 4 Dec 2004, at 6:18, Gordon Ross wrote:

> Hi Chris:
>
> Why not gather a few Zuiks onto your next flight and if taking off to
> the
> north, pull a hard left-- the first few hours are wet and monotonous
> then
> the last ones are going to make you wonder how so few people have so
> much
> space. It is a long way, you may want to carry a 'Gerry' can. I will
> include
> chauffeur service to Banff, Louise, and even the old army haunts south
> of
> here.
>
> Gord

<|_:-)_|>